Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Occassions: Cherry Blossom Festival

Being a native Washingtonian, a multitude of childhood memories include cherry blossoms.  I fondly recall springtime beginning  with a family outing to the Tidal Basin.  My parents would pack a picnic lunch and we all hopped in the station wagon.  While my mom and dad may have dreaded the flood of tourists and  the quest for a parking place, my memories include running through the maze of trees with my brother (and likely cousins), laying in the cold grass admiring the canopy of blossoms overhead, and my dad lifting me high into the branches for a picture.  (I know climbing the trees is prohibited these day and very well could have been in the 80's, but my dad was never one to follow the rules.)  


With the National Cherry Blossom Festival in full swing, let's not forget who gave us this precious gift.  Weather you are going to admire the trees downtown, a single tree in your yard or simply the pictures here, please keep the people of Japan in your thoughts and prayers.  



Betty Burgess 






via Domino





This chair would be perfect in my house!  via Caitlin Creer 





Hello Spring!

Images via weheartit.com

Hand painted pillows on Etsy. The seller will  donate $10.00 to the Red Cross' efforts to help the people of Japan, with every pair of hand painted pillow covers she sells.



Cheers!
Elizabeth

“Break open a cherry tree and there are no flowers, but the spring breeze brings forth a myriad blossoms.”  ~ Ikkyu Sojun

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...