Friday, March 18, 2011

Casual Friday: Pictorial Dictionary

Hello.  I'm Elizabeth and I am a logophile.  Now don't go running for the hills yet - it's nothing creepy.  A logophile is a lover of words.  Even though words are an interest, the depth of  my vocabulary is not as vast as I wish it to be.  So, I am constantly trying to expand it.  I am a work in progress, just like my kids - learning new words every day.

It's extraordinary that certain words can summon such strong emotions and how powerful the connotation associated with a word can be.  Think about it - someone can say they are a certain nationality, race, or religion and with that single word, one can instantly form an opinion about that person -even though it's typically untrue.  One the other hand, many words are so overused they've lost their meaning.  Browse through Craig's List or real estate listing - get real folks - let's call a spade a spade.

OK, enough with the esoteric you-know-what.  I want to do the opposite of something we all have heard, "a picture is worth a 1,000 words."   I've selected two of my favorite adjectives that I believe go hand and hand.   My goal is to "define" what they mean to me with pictures.

"ENCHANTING" and "CHARMING"


The Cotswolds

"The Shop Around the Corner" from You've Got Mail, although everything about this movie is enchanting.

The house from Bewitched the movie.

The Linden Grove at the Meridian House (the backyard of the house where I had my wedding reception).  I have no idea who these people are - My wedding pictures are not digital, so I had to lift one from the internet. 

More of the Linden Grove

The shop in the sleep French town in  the movie Chocolat.  (on that note, many individually owned candy stores are enchanting.)

A Little Princess


Mary McDonald

Oak Trees covered with Spanish moss

Magnolia Plantation, Charleston, CS


Gary Crowther via Southern Accents 

Kathy M. Ireland via Elle Decor 



That's all I have time for - the kids are on the mend, but I am still sick as a dog.  Here's to an enchanted weekend, but I will settle for a germ-free one.  

Cheers!
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...