Friday, March 4, 2011

Casual Friday: Small Spaces

My mother insists I am drawn to small spaces .   Her words - "You moved from a small apartment, to a small row house, to a small house.  They (were) are all beautifully decorated, but the next house you buy needs LOTS of space."  Trust me, I want a home with tons of extra space, however there is something to be said for small spaces.  They require you to utilize every square inch and get extremely creative.  Plus, there is a certain charm about a thoughtfully decorated petite pied-à-terre.  Take a look at these positively enchanting small spaces.  

An over-sized birdhouse turned guest cottage.  Image courtesy of Apartment Therapy  



To me, this delightful pigeonnier  is a play house for the child in us.     


This tiny NYC apartment is a little gem.  (I've had this picture in my file for a long time.  Please forgive me, because I can't remember where I found this or who designed it.  If you know, please tell me.)

I will not step foot in our shed for fear of an "encounter" (snake, bat, insect, murderer, etc.), but I would happily spend my days writing in Michael Devine's "Garden Blogger's Shed".  


Love the painted floor!


A child lives in this small one bedroom apartment!!!  I love that everything has a place - perfect for an organization enthusiast like me.

Images courtesy House Beautiful   The trundle hides under the bed when not in use.

The regal color scheme makes a big impact in this small space.  (PS - we have this high chair in black.  I highly recommend it!)


Images courtesy The New York Times
This tiny house (the blue one) is in my former neighborhood - Old Town Alexandria, VA.  The 7 feet wide by 25 feet deep "Spite House" has been featured in The New York Times, The Washington Post and Oprah




Every inch of this terrific teensy-weensy kitchen was considered when Stephanie Stokes designed it.  The mirrored back splash opens up the slight space.  

Images courtesy House Beautiful


This Saturday we have a big celebration for a wee lad - my baby's 1st birthday party!  No matter how big or small your weekend plans are, enjoy!

Cheers!
Elizabeth

"Small rooms or dwellings discipline the mind, large ones weaken it.”
– Leonardo Da Vinci

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...