Thursday, April 7, 2011

Florals: An Egg-cellent Arrangment

The blue sky, the warm sunshine, the cool breeze, the blossoms bursting, and the birds singing... Spring is here and Easter is just around the corner.  Today I was out running errands and picked up some things for the kids' Easter baskets.  One of my stops was at Whole Foods, where they had a lovely selection flowers.

When I got to the checkout I realized the beautiful bunches of flowers totaled nearly $60 and I had to come up with a way to justify that to my husband.  So here we are... a tutorial on how to make a splendid spring time arrangement for your Easter table.

*Side notes: First, I am sorry to say that Richmond has an awful selection of flowers, so the grocery store is basically my only source.  Coming from DC, where we had great flower markets and working at the BEST flower shop in town (Helen Olivia), it's a tough pill to swallow.   Once the kids are in school full time, I would love to return to floral design.  In the meantime, I do offer my services one off.  Second, please excuse the quality of the photos.  Photography is not one of my many talents.

Go to your local floral shop, farmers market, flower market or grocery store and buy flowers.  The amount you will need depends on the size of the container you use. For this arrangement I used 3 white hydrangeas, 9 light green roses, 2 green mini hydrangeas, 9 purple tulips, 5 lavender  freesia, and 3 lavender hyacinth.


You will need a container and floral knife and/or flower clippers.  (You may need Oasis floral foam if you use a small or lower container.)  

The particular container I used  is 6x6x4. I did not use any Oasis.  

Be sure to cut your flowers on a diagonal.  "Clean" your flowers.  For example, remove any leaves that are not necessary or would be below the water line, scrape off the thorns, gently pull off any petals that are bruised or discolored.



I would normally "green up" the vase (to create the basic shape) with a green such as pittosporum, however the grocery store did not have any.  In this case, it's simple to get a basic shape with 3 white hydrangeas.

Then I added 2 green mini-hydrangeas - 1 to each side.

Next add 9 light green roses.  I like roses bunched in groups of 3.  



Then add 3 hyacinth.


I added 5 freesia, dispersed throughout the arrangement.  

The final type of flower included in the arrangement are tulips - 3 groups of 3


After the arrangement is complete, wrap the vase in ribbon.  I selected a thick celadon color for the base.  Secure it with clear tape.  

Next wrap 3 pieces of scalloped ribbon and secure each piece with clear tape.

Finally, add a thin piece of ribbon over each scalloped ribbon and secure with clear tape.

Congratulations, you've just made a delightful flower arrangement for Easter!

If you have any questions or would like to hire me to design floral arrangements for your next party or event please email me HERE.    


Cheers!
Elizabeth

"I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck."  ~Emma Goldman

1 comment:

  1. I can't thank you enough! I never do something this elaborate but you show how easy it can be and I love crafting. Can't wait to make one. Beth, your talent is inspiring!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...