Monday, August 1, 2011

Not The Master Of My Mantel

Accessorizing a mantel is one of the most difficult parts of a living room - at least for me. My living room is rather traditional.  Therefore, I like to mix in some eclectic and contemporary pieces to keep it fresh.  The living room below is the perfect blueprint for incorporating past and present decor.


Photo: Laurey W. Glenn, Design: Jenny Keenan, via southernliving.com

Until yesterday, I had a similar gold leafed mirror over my fireplace, of course I forgot to take a before picture.  I love the mirror; however it competed with a large oil painting (on another wall), also in a large gilded frame.

Clearly I have not found the time to buy my new camera.  

The gilded mirror now hangs in my family room over a white couch with very clean lines.  They balance each other out and look great.  

A mirror above to fireplace is a must because the room is lacking when it comes to natural light.  This subtle six foot silver leafed mirror makes a difference.  The room appears brighter and wider.  Plus, it allows the painting to shine.  

Please excuse the bookshelves, etc.  Everything is in transition - just thrown on the shelves until I have the time to style and organize.

Now to the tricky part - what to put on the mantel?  I will defiantly take ques from the Charleston Charmer above and be sure to share after pictures.

Cheers!
Elizabeth

"You can tear a poem apart to see what makes it tick... You're back with the mystery of having been moved by words.  The best craftsmanship always leave holes and gaps... so that something that is not in the poem can creep, crawl, flash or thunder in." ~Dylan Thomas 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...