Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Ikea Etagere

In previous posts I've alluded to my affinity for books. Our old house had tons of built-in storage, something our new house lacks.  A few months ago, in an attempt to create a new home for my collection, I enlisted my carpenter.  Together, we fashioned a design of  bookcases and window seats  to run the length of the (fireplace) wall in our living room.  

The hold up is the pending kitchen/breakfast room renovation.  While I'm desperate for built-ins, there is a greater sense of urgency for previously mentioned project.  Looking for a cheap and quick fix, I copied this Vittsjo shelves Ikea hack.    


You can't beat the $70 price tag.  

Please excuse the photo quality.  There is something wrong with my lens.

I spray-painted the two shelving unit metallic gold.  (One on each side of the fireplace.)  Immediately after, while the gold paint was still wet, I strategically sprayed brass paint that created this fantastic cracked, patina-like finish.  


Gives it more depth, don't ya think?

My only complaint is the weight capacity of the units, so many things are still in boxes.  

Cheers!
Elizabeth

“I love walking into a bookstore. It's like all my friends are sitting on shelves, waving their pages at me.”   ~ Tahereh Mafi 

1 comment:

  1. Hanging chair is my favorite style among all chairs, you can learn more about furniture by Emd
    on it.
    Leather sofa is my favorite style among all 2 seat sofa, you can learn more about furniture by Emd
    furniture
    on it.
    Barcelona chair replica is my favorite style among all Leather sofa, you can learn more about furniture by emdfurniturecenter
    on it.
    lets do it, link it http://www.emdfurniturecenter.com
    and you can learn more furniture.
    lets do it, link it emdfurniturecenter
    and you can learn more furniture

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...