Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Ikea Etagere

In previous posts I've alluded to my affinity for books. Our old house had tons of built-in storage, something our new house lacks.  A few months ago, in an attempt to create a new home for my collection, I enlisted my carpenter.  Together, we fashioned a design of  bookcases and window seats  to run the length of the (fireplace) wall in our living room.  

The hold up is the pending kitchen/breakfast room renovation.  While I'm desperate for built-ins, there is a greater sense of urgency for previously mentioned project.  Looking for a cheap and quick fix, I copied this Vittsjo shelves Ikea hack.    

You can't beat the $70 price tag.  

Please excuse the photo quality.  There is something wrong with my lens.

I spray-painted the two shelving unit metallic gold.  (One on each side of the fireplace.)  Immediately after, while the gold paint was still wet, I strategically sprayed brass paint that created this fantastic cracked, patina-like finish.  

Gives it more depth, don't ya think?

My only complaint is the weight capacity of the units, so many things are still in boxes.  


“I love walking into a bookstore. It's like all my friends are sitting on shelves, waving their pages at me.”   ~ Tahereh Mafi 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...