Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Occasions: All You Need Is Love

Image Courtesy of High Gloss

I am a hopeless romantic!  In a perfect world (my brain), music swells while star-crossed lovers have an encounter on a moonlit Parisian street, just as snow begins to fall.  In the real world (my life), my husband and I get more passionate “kisses” from the dog than each other, the soundtrack of our life would be something of the child’s variety, and that’s not snowflakes or raindrops caught in my eyelashes, its baby drool or glue.

Now don’t get me wrong, I am blessed to have 3 amazing men to call my husband and sons.  Rarely do my husband and I find time for leisurely, candlelight dinners or spontaneous nights on the town toasting champagne. However, I get to admire blissful smiles of joy, original works of art, and warm embraces.  I’ll take that over my storybook romance scene any day. 

Needless to say, we do not have much time for a romantic Valentine’s Day.  Boxes of assorted chocolates are not my thing.  Plus, I am a floral designer, so my husband knows nothing will live up to my standards.   He sure lucked out, right? 

With that said, I still hope for a small token of affection.  Last year my husband hit a home run.  He bought a white lacquered box from the best store on Earth, HomeGoods, and filled it with all my favorite treats.  Plus, he came home with big bunches of pink tulips, from Whole Foods, so I could arrange myself.   Such a thoughtful gift and perhaps, thought provoking, for anyone in need of an idea. 

Last Valentine’s Day I was pregnant. With my due date just a few weeks away I wanted to do something special for the Big Brother-to-be, so we had our own little Valentine’s Party.  I made a small mailbox covered in hearts for his cards.  We baked cupcakes and placed them on a 3-tiered silver serving tray.  To mix things up, we set the dining room table for the occasion. The final touch was a bunch of balloons floating from the ceiling.  Love is in the details, which he may not notice, but my son and I truly enjoyed the time together.

So, how are you going to show the special people in your life how much they mean to you?

Here are my covet du jours this Valentine’s Day:

A bowl filled with your sweethearts favorite candies, all wrapped up for the holiday.








Don’t send the predictable dozen red roses. Opt for something spectacular.







Set the mood with candle light and an intoxicating scent.






Kiss her skin with a spritz of Jo Malone’s newest scent, Red Roses Cologne.






Give her a night on the town in her PJ’s.






Who can resist an adorable, delicious cupcake?






Cookies for my little Princes








Homemade Valentine’s to hand out in class



I almost forgot to add this Candy Matching Game from eeBoo.  I gave it to my son last Valentine's Day and it's been a hit every since!




Cheers!
Elizabeth


"Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope."
-- Maya Angelou

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...