Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Written Word: Matchbook


I adore books and magazines! My dream is to have a room, just for me, with floor to ceiling white built-ins to house all the books (and art, objects, etc.) that inspire me. Maybe antiqued mirrors lining the back of the shelves and perfectly positioned lighting to highlight my collections. Imagine… 2 sets of delicate French doors on either side of a desk similar to Mary McDonald’s with silver cups and trays to keep my desktop organized (I want to be able to see the Chinese fretwork pattern underneath.) A simple vase filled with my favorite bloom of the season. Photos of my boys, husband and dog. A pair of amazing vintage lamps that I just have to have. A delicate, yet modern show stopping crystal/glass chandelier in the center of the room. While we’re at it, throw in a fireplace with a Carrara marble hearth. I also see a pale blue with gold accents Dorothy Draper cabinet in the corner that could double as a bar. Welcoming white sofas flanking the fireplace, covered in bold and colorful print pillows and a soft cashmere throw. Oh, the rug – maybe a bold design in a muted, light color on top of very dark wood floors. We can’t forget chairs and side tables, but that’s a whole month’s worth of posts. Wow, I’ve gotten carried away (as I tend to do). But can you see it?

Mary McDonald's Office

So back to the subject of this post - Recently, I discovered the most charming digital publication. I know, I know – digital and charming do not usually go hand in hand. However, look at the success of Lonny. I spend hours getting lost in a haze of tantalizing photographs and tempting ideas.

Drum roll please…. I am pleased to introduce you to the Covet du Jour, Matchbook Magazine– “Field Guide To A Charmed Life”. It’s so lovely! From the darling illustrations to the delightful photographs, the perfect “picks” to curious facts, Matchbook had me at hello! If this magazine were a recipe, it would read: combined a dash of old fashioned enchantment, a pinch of contemporary style and mix with a heaping spoonful of your secret ingredient. Matchbook makes me want to go out and buy my husband a pocket watch for Valentine’s Day (that happen to be one sale at OKL today) and dress up for a homemade cocktail at a speakeasy, such as PX.



Oh, the best part – it’s free!!!

So relax and enjoy a cup of coffee as you get acquainted with Matchbook!


Cheers!
Elizabeth


"Knowing I loved my books, he furnished me, 
From mine own library with volumes the
I prize above my dukedom." 
-William Shakespeare



2 comments:

  1. I can picture the room...I am picturing waking up in the morning and enjoying a perfectly french pressed cup of coffee on the white sofa curled up in a Serena & Lilly Apple Herringbone Throw while listening to the crackling of the fireplace. The throw is "woven on antique shuttle looms by artisans at an historic mill in Maine, this sumptuous throw is extra-dense and soft. The hand-turned fringe adds to its luxurious feel, while rich color creates just the right pop. I would be reading the newspaper or planning my menus for the week and upcoming events (the throw would fall right in line with my focus on supporting local New England businesses!)

    This place would be idyllic for unwinding at the end of the day with a glass of wine going over the events of the day and planning tomorrows as much as can be (I have "to do" list mania)...As the kids are all set in bed, enjoying my husbands company being blissfully thankful for everything we have.

    This sort of zen, tranquil, peaceful room creates a sense of calmness & happiness just picturing it. Every woman, wife, sister, mother, best friend deserves this place.

    This is a perfect room Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome aboard, Beth.. Great post, and perfect timing... Matchbook is actually having their launch party in NYC tonight!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...