Wednesday, February 23, 2011

OpEd: Saturated?




Truth be told, Covet du Jour was born out of grief.  My father passed away almost six months ago.  Shopping and redecorating have been a coping mechanism .  Since I am a stay-at-home mom, expensive compulsive shopping is not an option. I had to find a way to channel this energy into something productive (and free), ergo Covet du Jour.  While I'm not the most prolific writer, I find solace and joy in the act of writing.   

While this blog is still in its infancy I already find it difficult to author new topics.  I'll admit, I've entered the blogosphere pretty late in the game - So I feel like I am recycling ideas and images that have been reviewed ad nauseam.  

What sparked this discussion are posts from two other blogs I read.  In the last 24 hours both Little Green Notebook and Cote de Texas address the notion of a constant demand for new design inspiration - albeit opposing views.  I believe we should appreciate beautiful design and celebrate it, instead of projecting a "what did you do for me today" attitude.  

Society puts tremendous pressure to keep up with the latest and greatest.  For me, if I am not ahead of the trends I feel inferior.  While I love design and the constant evolution of my home, a brief feeling of contentment would be a welcome change.  I am paraphrasing here - Just as the post in Little Green Notebook mentions, once you finalize the design plans for a space, you immediately question it because of the bombardment of images.  Just look at yesterday's post - it's probably why I can't settle on plans for my husband's office.  (I feel hypocritical since my blog is all about design, but hopefully you see where I am coming from.)

Granted, this problem is likely confined to those of us that follow the design world (perhaps too) closely.  For instance, my mom and her friends think I am sort of technical genius because I set up a blog (as many of them did not know what a blog was until three weeks ago). Honestly, I am not tech savvy at all.  Starting a blog is about as difficult of opening a new email account.  I'm lucky - I have a fresh audience.  However, I am still compelled to contribute new ideas to the blogosphere, maybe to validate myself...  I just need to remember if it feels right and looks right (to you) it is right;  along with a breezy attitude embracing the idea that what's old is new and what's new is old.  

Everyone seems to have a blog these days.  Does everyone think the world needs to hear our opinion?  I suppose so... just look at social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter (and your's truly).  All of the technological advancements are wonderful, but it comes with a price.  Once in awhile, it would be nice to "go off the grid" and enjoy the simple pleasures of life.  I suppose the Pièce de résistance is existing somewhere between the worlds.


I will continue writing about what I love and do it for me.  All the better if someone else likes what I have to say.  

I'd like to leave you with all the pretty thoughts in your mind....


Cheers!
Elizabeth


"Be faithful to your own taste because nothing you really like is ever out of style." - Billy Baldwin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...