Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Textiles: The Silken Thread

Would you agree that a scarf is the perfect accessory to any outfit?  You can instantly pull your look together by draping a scarf around your neck, wrapping it around your head or looping it around your waist.  Why not do the same for a room in your house?  

For as long as I can remember, I’ve daydreamed about framing a scarf or pocket squares. This idea likely originated from a pair of silk scarves hanging in my grandparent's dining room.  During World War II, my grandfather served in the South Pacific.  Before going overseas, he promised to marry my grandmother upon his return to the States.  After four years separated by war and countless love letters, my grandfather made his homecoming carrying those two silk handkerchiefs.  Shortly thereafter, my grandparents married.  (Don't you feel like curling up under a warm blanket and watching The Notebook?)

Well, after my grandmother passed away the scarves were bestowed to me.  They need  new frames and matting, but, how lucky am I to have that piece of family history?!?!

Conceivably, the nostalgia and romance associated with these Japanese embroidered silks somehow inspired me to want to recreate what they represent in a contemporary way...

Truly, a thoughtfully designed scarf is art, comprised of bold colors and intriguing design.   If you think about it, they are rather reasonably priced pieces of art, right?

Legendary Hermes Scarves would be spectacular alone or grouped.  With all the colors offered, your art could be displayed anywhere from a living room to a chic nursery:


courtesy of 1stdibs.com



This Lilly Pulitzer Jubilee Scarf would be perfect in a teen's room!



Imagine hanging horizontally over a bed or a pair hanging vertically above a chest of drawers:



This classic Emilio Pucci Scarf would bring a classic Carrera marble bathroom to life:




Check out the framed Pucci scarves in the office of Alison Brod PR (that's Whitney from "The City", in gray)







Now, you can't discuss scarves without mentioning Vera Neuman.  


This MIGHT be my number one scarf to frame, after my grandmother's of course.  Thanks Vera!



As always, thank you for indulging me.  I hope you had is much fun and I did!


Cheers!
Elizabeth

“I believe in doing the thing you feel is right.  If it looks right, it is right.” 
– Dorothy Draper






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...